It sounds counterintuitive, but salt makes sweet taste better. Think of the obligatory teaspoon you add to any cake batter—without it, the final flavour of the sponge lacks dimension.
The comfort food of many a childhood, ice cream is traditionally a sweet treat, and this creamy (vegan!) swirl of good things stays true to that; and yet it’s so much more, not least because of a sprinkle of saltiness.
But wait—there’s more. You also add black pepper, too!
Turmeric is used in this recipe to boost the golden colour of the shake, but it’s also a pretty famous anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. For this reason, don’t be scared to go heavy with it—but only if you really dig the taste.
I like to grate the fresh root into the shake for optimum health benefit and a more subtle turmeric tang, and then use the powdered spice for colour.
The black pepper comes in not only for the subtle kick (which is probably my faaaavourite thing about this nice cream), but because, according to various studies, turmeric’s most active ingredient, curcumin, is better absorbed by the body when taken in conjunction with piperine, black pepper’s bioactive compound.
Supremely creamy, simple AF, with a subtle kick. You’ve never tasted a better banana ice cream / nice cream!
- 2 cups frozen banana
- 1 cup coconut cream (250ml)
- 1 x vanilla bean, scraped* (or 1 tsp extract)
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey, if not vegan)
- 1–2 tbsp turmeric (powdered spice, root, or both, plus a little extra for sprinkling)
- 1 heaped tablespoon cinnamon, plus a little extra for sprinkling
- A generous pinch of sea salt
- 15 grinds of black pepper mill (more if you want more kick)
- A block or two of 70 percent (or higher—I like 90-100) dark chocolate for the top
- A swizzle of Sweet Freedom Choc Shot (liquid chocolate), optional
- Blitz all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Taste. Add more maple syrup/honey (and salt + pepper) if necessary. Spoon into bowls or glasses. Grind a little extra salt and pepper, and dust a bit more cinnamon and turmeric, over the top. Finely grate over the chocolate. Swizzle over Sweet Freedom liquid chocolate.
- Plunge in a spoon or paper straw. Revel in the salty-sweet paradox.
*Stick your scraped vanilla pod into a jar of granulated white sugar to flavour it for crêpes or French toast.