Easy-as-apple-pie recipe for baking apples, without the pastry. All you need are your favourite berries, a sprinkling of cinnamon, and a few tart apples. A delicious breakfast topping or dessert!
- 5 apples, cored
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Wash apples well. Core each all the way through, so you’re left with a hollow tube from top to bottom.
- Place the apples inside a casserole dish, or any ovenproof baking dish.
- Stuff the apples with blackberries (or any berries you’ve got to hand). Dust generously with cinnamon.
- Fill the dish with water until just past a quarter of the apples—this is to stop them from burning on the bottom, or drying out, so you don’t need too much.
- Pop apples in the oven, and bake for approximately 45 minutes.*
- Eat hot, or cold. Pour over double cream and drizzle with raw honey, or eat straight. All variations are delicious.
Note that this is only an approximate cooking time, and the size of your apples will determine exactly how long they’ll need to bake. Generally, once the skin starts to wrinkle slightly, and you can smell the baked apple fragrance, give the apples a gentle prod. If they’re tender, take them out. If still very firm, check back in another 10 minutes. If the skin is shriveled and the fruit has shrunk, you’ve left them too long.