Too early for chocolate? NEVER. Molten dark choc puddled in creamy, cocoa-rich oatmeal.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 medium banana, well mashed
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1–3 tbsp honey or maple syrup*
- 1–2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder, to taste (like this one)
- 1 heaped tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate, chopped or chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan, use a wooden spoon to stir together oats, banana, milk, honey or maple syrup, cinnamon, cocoa powder and salt. Simmer on a medium heat, stirring every now and then, until the oats are tender (around 5 or so minutes). Add dashes of more milk if the oats aren’t yet cooked, but the liquid has been absorbed.
- Taste. Add more honey or maple syrup if you desire. Spoon into your bowl, tumble over the chocolate bits and allow them to melt a little. Then swirl through the oatmeal. Throw in a bit more for extra indulgence. Happy morning!
- Use three tablespoons if your bananas are not overly ripe, one if they’re very spotty.
- NO-COOK CHEAT TIP: skip the stovetop and turn this into overnight oats by combining all ingredients except the chocolate bits together, and refrigerating overnight. In the morning, simply heat up in the microwave, and crumble your choccie over the piping-hot beauty to melt.