Brown butter and coffee flavours make this French classic the perfect winter treat. Dip in a satiny mocha glaze, dunk in your cuppa, and Ooh. La. La.
- 8 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
For the mocha glaze—
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 4 tsp whole milk, plus more if needed
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Heat butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Continue to cook until the butter begins to foam and become fragrant—then watch for the solids sinking to the bottom of the pan and the colour changing to golden brown. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and espresso powder. Set aside.
- Using either a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or a food processor, beat the eggs at medium speed, slowly adding the sugar. Then turn up the speed and beat until mixture has risen and is pale (this should take around 3-4 minutes).
- Gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture (pouring in flour mixture in three increments), mixing until just combined.
- Fold in butter mixture until completely combined (but don’t overmix!).
- Cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, and up to 2 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 F/ 180 C/ Gas Mark 4. Grease madeleine pan well with butter, then lightly dust with flour.*
- Check that the butter hasn’t separated into streaks in your batter. If it has, do some gentle folding to properly combine. Then, using a tablespoon, spoon one level spoonful of batter into the centre of each mould. Do not smooth the batter.
- Place an extra baking sheet/tray under the Madeleine pan to stop the bottoms from browning. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the ‘bumps’ have risen and the Madeleines are slightly springy to the touch. Remove from oven and flip over tray, gently tapping to release Madeleines.
- For the glaze, sift the icing/confectioner’s sugar into a medium bowl, then add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. If mixture is too thick, only add a tablespoon of milk at a time. Dip in Madeleines, decorate with sprinkles, or just dunk as you eat, delivering the whole party express-train (or espresso-train?) to your cake hole.
* Even if your pan is non-stick, don’t skip this step! Madeleines are notorious for sticking in the moulds!