Cake for breakfast.
Yeah, I said it.
But don’t be scurred —this baby is delicious but healthy AF. My Almond and Orange Breakfast Cake is flour-free, refined sugar-free, and perfect for Paleo and GF peeps. It’s also THE BOMB for a make-ahead breakfast that requires minimal finger-lifting.
All you need for this golden, moist and citrussy beaut is one bowl, and a handful of basic ingredients (okay, you may need two handfuls for the eggs, unless you have massive hands 😬).
Is Honey Paleo-Friendly?
It is, as long as you don’t overdo it! This cake is not too sweet, and perfect to change up the ol’ eggs and bacon routine, or whatever your go-to Paleo brekkie is.
Is This Cake Keto-Friendly?
This cake is easily adapted for keto diets! Simply substitute the honey for your favourite keto sweetener, following the proper ratios depending on what you choose.
For more on why you should be making your breakfasts ahead of time, check out this post.Print
One-bowl healthy breakfast cake made with almond flour and fresh orange. Soft, moist, and perfect for meal-prep!
- ½ tbsp butter, or coconut oil, for greasing
- 4 large eggs
- just under ½ cup honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice, plus zest
- 1½ cups + 4 tbsp almond flour
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas Mark 4. Generously grease an 8-inch cake pan or casserole dish with butter or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Then add (whisking between each addition) honey, vanilla, orange juice and zest, almond flour, salt and baking soda.
- Pour batter into greased pan or casserole dish.
- Bake until golden and fragrant, and with a slight spring when touched (around 25 to 35 mins, depending on your oven). NB: If you notice the cake starts to brown before it’s properly baked, loosely cover with foil and continue to bake.
- Cool the cake for at least 20-30 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with thick Greek yoghurt and your favourite berries.