So I’m a little guilty….
This easy-as-pumpkin-pie drink already haunts Morning, Delicious, as a warm and toasty, straight-up Pumpkin & Earl Grey latte with a simple cream foam.
But…I can’t get enough of this flavour combination. I mean, I’m addicted.
I’m a Pumpkin & Earl Grey combo addict, and I need to experiment with every and all incarnations from October to October. Soooo….here’s my latest little beauty, chilled instead of warm, the official OMG Pumpkin & Earl Grey Iced Latte with a CREAM CHEESE FOAM.
Yup, I’m shouting that last bit because it’s that insanely good, and you should freakin’ know about it.
This iced latte is a perfect pick-me-up if you’re not a fan of coffee, but also still want the creaminess of a latte: adding pumpkin to a just-brewed tea helps to achieve that creamy depth. Now top that with a silky cream cheese crown?
Cream cheese + pumpkin is already a crazy popular pairing. I have zero clue who came up with that flavour alchemy, but I do know that the idea of a cream cheese topping for tea has its roots in Asia. The silky cloud of mascarpone-like cheese envelopes the mildly bitter notes of tea, and the balance of sweet and salt is a dessert-dream. Obviously, ‘cheese tea’ or naigai cha, couldn’t stay secret for long.
You can easily skip the cream cheese foam and dive straight into the latte, but I promise you, if you dare to try it, you’ll wonder how you ever lived your best #lattelife without it!Print
A coffee-free brew swirling with pumpkin and spice, and the citrus tang of Earl Grey. PLUS topped with a foamy crown of sweet cream cheese…is there any better adornment for this gourd-gess iced latte?
- 1 cup water
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 6 heaped tbsp pumpkin purée (tinned; not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tbsp honey / maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- A small pinch of sea salt
- ice cubes, optional
- Frother (my favourite is this one)
For the cream cheese topping—
- 1/2 cup double cream
- 1/2 tub Philadelphia soft cheese/ full fat soft white cheese (around 90g)
- Pinch salt
- 8 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a gentle boil. Remove from heat, drop in the tea bags, and let steep for 5 minutes. Take out tea bags.
- Add the almond milk, pumpkin purée, honey, vanilla, spices and salt to the pan. Whisk until well blended.
- Let cool and decant into tall glasses. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, until cold.
- Just before serving, whisk together the cream cheese foam ingredients. The consistency should be thin enough to drop easily off a spoon. Using the hand-frother, froth the mixture into a light but creamy foam.*
- Add ice cubes to chilled lattes, if preferred.
- Spoon cream cheese foam over lattes.
TIP: If you’re a froth-newbie, try tilting the jug towards you and keeping the frother submerged in the mixture. Switch on.