The most delicious (and easy!) way to use up your sourdough discard—AND have a gorgeous baked breakfast on the table in less than 20 minutes. Cosy up to this beauty of silky sourdough Dutch Baby pancake, studded with plums and apples, *plus* generous lashings of golden butter and cinnamon spice.
- 1 and 1/4 cups sourdough starter, unstirred (fed within the last three days)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 12 tbsp butter
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 3 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 2 large plums, thinly sliced
- Double cream, or Greek yoghurt, for serving
- Maple syrup, or honey, for serving
- Preheat oven to 220 C/ 425 F/ Gas Mark 7.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sourdough starter, sea salt, eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and milk of choice. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron frying pan or skillet (1 x 25cm/10-inch) or 1 x small roasting tin/pan (approx. 28 x 21 x 4.5 cm/11 x 8 x 2 inches) on medium-high heat. Add butter, remaining teaspoon of vanilla extract and cinnamon. Once butter is melted, add sliced fruit and sauté until just tender (but not mushy!).
- Remove half the sautéed fruit plus around 5 tablespoons of the melted butter and place into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pour sourdough batter into skillet of remaining fruit and melted butter. Do not stir. Transfer quickly into heated oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cut into slices, and serve immediately with double cream or thick Greek yoghurt, and maple syrup or honey.